Chicken Liver and Fois Gras Parfait
275g chicken liver(s)
275g uncooked foie gras
400g unsalted butter
For the Reduction:
15g sea salt
7g black pepper
1 garlic clove
Spring fresh thyme
Preheat the oven to 100’C
- Finely slice the shallot and chop the garlic.
- Add the shallot, garlic and thyme leaves to a saucepan with the port, madeira, brandy and the salt. Place on a medium heat and reduce to a syrup.
- Chop the foie gras into chunks the same size as the chicken livers.
- Melt the butter and break the eggs into a bowl.
- In a wide bottomed pan over a very low heat begin to heat the chicken livers and foie gras. Bring the heat up to about 37’C. Ideally this will not make the chicken livers turn grey in colour.
- Warm the eggs in a saucepan. Melt the butter in a separate pan. (Ensure the butter is at approximately the same temperature as the eggs and the livers.)
- Place the port, madeira and brandy marinade in a food processor, blitz and then add the chicken livers and foie gras.
- Keep blitzing this mixture at a high speed and begin to add the eggs until they are all incorporated. Next, slowly add the butter until you have a glossy mixture.
- Pass this through a fine sieve and then pour into individual ramekins.
- Place the ramekins on a tray and cover with cling film.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until they are set. (The mixture should wobble when you remove them from the oven.)
- Refrigerate immediately. The mixture will set as it cools down.